On September 8, 2019, at approximately 1:45 am, Powerview RCMP were on patrol when an officer observed two vehicles travelling at a high rate of speed along Highway 11 near Tipi Road. Radar indicated that the vehicles were travelling in excess of 150 km/hr in a 70km/hr zone. The officer attempted to pull over one of the vehicles, however the driver evaded police by driving through a ditch, abandoning the vehicle, and running on foot into the bush.
Additional officers immediately arrived on scene and the driver was quickly located. During the arrest, the 45 year-old male suspect refused to comply with police commands, and a conducted energy weapon was deployed.
Rene Olaney, of Fort Alexander, was arrested and charged with the following Criminal Code charges:
- Operate a Conveyance while Impaired
- Fail or Refuse to comply with a Breath Demand
- Fail to Stop Motor Vehicle when Being Pursued by Police
- Obstruction of a Police Officer
- Fraudulently Personate another person to avoid arrest.
He was also served with four tickets under the Highway Traffic Act:
- Drive without a valid drivers licence- 298.00
- Drive without insurance 672.00
- Drive an unregistered vehicle 298.00
- Speeding 150km/hr in a 70 km/hr equals 1097.00
And one charge under the Liquor, Gaming Cannabis Control Act:
- Unlawful transportation of liquor in a motor vehicle- LGCC act- 237.00
Powerview RCMP continue to investigate.