Troop 17 Scholarship
The RCMP's Troop 17 Scholarship was established to recognize students who have made significant efforts toward the prevention of bullying and harassment in their schools and/or communities. Up to five scholarships in the amount of $1000 will be awarded annually to full-time college or university students.
The creation of the Troop 17 Scholarship was part of the Merlo-Davidson settlement agreement, and is one of the many initiatives the RCMP is implementing to help support the elimination of harassment from our schools, communities, and workplaces.
The scholarship is named after the first troop of women to attend the RCMP Academy in Regina, Saskatchewan, and be hired as regular members of the RCMP. The women of Troop 17 pushed through the challenges that come with working in a male-dominated career, and paved the way for many others who followed in their footsteps. One of these women was Beverley Busson, who received many honours for her service within the Force, and in 2006 became the first woman to serve as Commissioner of the RCMP.
To be considered for the Troop 17 Scholarship, all applicants must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who has reached the age of majority in their province/territory of residence;
- Be enrolled in a full-time accredited Canadian college or university;
- Demonstrate they have made significant efforts in preventing bullying and harassment in their schools and/or communities; and
- Explain how they continue to promote anti-harassment principles in their schools and/or communities.
The deadline for applications for the 2020 Troop 17 Scholarship is March 31, 2020 – 23:59, Pacific Time.
Applications will be assessed based on:
- The creativity and originality of the initiative;
- The overall impact and/or results in the school and/or community; and,
- The clarity of thought, and quality of writing in the application.
Please note that only successful applicants will be notified. The 2019 Troop 17 Scholarship winners will be notified by July 31, 2020 and the RCMP will announce their names publically on September 30, 2020.
Any questions or inquiries about the Troop 17 Scholarship should be sent to: RCMP.AIM.GRC@rcmp-grc.gc.ca
- Date modified: