Family corner

On this page

This site was developed to provide RCMP members and their families with quick access to helpful tools and resources.

  1. Privacy breach affecting current and former employees
  2. Health
  3. Retirement, pension and benefits
  4. Emergency preparedness
  5. Depot
  6. Are you being transferred?
  7. External access for public service employees to view pay stubs

Privacy breach affecting current and former employees

Privacy breach affecting current and former public service employees and members of the Canadian Armed Forces and Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Please be advised that you may be affected by a privacy breach involving the vendor, Brookfield Global Relocation Services (BGRS) and SIRVA Canada, used in your relocation between 1999 and September 2023. The Government of Canada were made aware of the breach on October 19. The information that could have been part of this breach may include your name, contact information, financial information, and passport information. For more information and updates on the situation please read below.


RCMP acknowledges challenges with Public Service Health Care Plan transition to Canada Life

We are aware that Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP) members have encountered technical issues with positive enrolment and delays accessing support through the client service channels at Canada Life. We understand this continues to be a frustrating experience. Others have valid concerns about having to pay out-of-pocket for services and prescriptions until the situation is resolved.

The Treasury Board Secretariat, as the employer, is working with Canada Life to resolve these issues.

Following a temporary outage of the Canada Life website last week, the company reported it is hiring additional staff to help meet a higher demand for assistance. In a statement released to media recently, Canada Life said that it expects to make significant progress over the next few weeks.

Rest assured plan members continue to be covered and will be able to have their claims processed once the delays are resolved.

The primary contact methods for Canada Life are online, through the Member Services website, or by phone at 1-855-415-4414, Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm your local time. Members who are logged into their Canada Life at Work account online may also use the web-based message or chat function.

Retirement, pension and benefits

Emergency preparedness


Are you being transferred?

Find out the answers to some of your questions before you go.

External access for public service employees to view pay stubs

Eligible public service employees can register on MyGCPay external access to obtain their pay stubs and tax slips if they:

  • are on leave without pay (including maternity leave, parental leave and long term sick leave)
  • are leaving the Public Service (including new retirees and students)
  • do not have access to a Government of Canada network due to the nature of their work
Date modified: