Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

Traffic Services

Traffic Services QUICK FACTS
  • In Canada, 90 per cent of vehicle occupants wear their seat belts. The remaining 10 per cent who do not wear seat belts account for 40 per cent of all traffic fatalities.
  • According to Coroner’s reports, 33 per cent of traffic fatalities are the result of impaired driving.
  • Traffic Services’ efforts correspond with the goal of the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators of Canada, which is to have the safest roads in the world by 2010.
  • There are approximately 1,200 RCMP regular members performing traffic services on a permanent basis.


The RCMP is responsible for providing traffic services in eight provinces and three territories (excluding Quebec and Ontario), including a traffic section based in Ottawa that is responsible for the federal roadways in the National Capital Region (NCR).

Each of the RCMP contract policing provinces and territories has a Divisional Traffic Coordinator, who is responsible for the Division's traffic services program. They ensure each program works to reduce motor vehicle crashes, and to motivate citizens of the community to voluntarily comply with traffic regulations.

Traffic Services Sections are stationed at various strategic locations throughout RCMP areas of jurisdiction. The location and placement of the traffic officers is based on strategic needs illustrated by traffic flow and density, collision frequency and vehicle populations.

Motor vehicle collisions that result in property damage, personal injuries and fatalities are often the result of traffic violations.

This is why it is also important for Traffic Services to encourage motorists to drive safely, following all applicable traffic regulations.

Wearing Your Seat Belt

The single most effective way to save a life or prevent serious injuries is to ensure all vehicle occupants wear seat belts.

While most people in Canada do wear their seat belts, the individuals who do not wear seat belts significantly contribute to the total number of traffic fatalities. The 10 per cent of non-compliant vehicle occupants (i.e. those who do not wear seat belts) make up 40 per cent of total traffic fatalities. Make the life saving connection, buckle-up.

Impaired Driving

The most devastating problem on our highways today is the impaired driver.

In a national survey conducted by Transport Canada, it was determined that three per cent of night time drivers were impaired between late night and early morning hours, Thursday through Sunday.

Coroner’s reports illustrate that these offenders account for 33 per cent of traffic fatalities among drivers every year.

To ensure motor vehicle collisions are thoroughly investigated, the RCMP employs specially trained collision investigators, analysts and reconstructionists. These RCMP or university-trained police officers provide an in-depth analysis and reconstruction of major traffic collisions. These reports are an integral part of the analysis of the cause behind crashes.

The RCMP is dedicated to improving public safety on the roadways it polices and encourages motorists to illustrate a similar commitment. When motorists follow safe driving practices, the risks of death and injury, to themselves and others, become reduced.